Thursday, August 25, 2011

Katie (Ashby) Carr

After high school I started working for a domestic violence shelter in SLC while studying Social Work at UVU. In March 2003 my best friend set me up with a smart, cute, die-hard Red Sox fan from New Hampshire named Ben Carr. I was smitten with him pretty quickly and we were married December of that year. Ben and I knew we wanted to start a family right away but it didn't come easily for us. After 2 1/2 years of trying to get pregnant, we knew adoption would be the right path for us to follow. We filled our paperwork out in record time and after being approved for just 6 weeks, we got a call to go to the hospital to speak with a young woman who had just given birth. That incredible girl turned out to be our angel and shortly after meeting her, she chose us to be the parents of her newborn little girl, our beautiful daughter Kiara who just turned 5.
In October 2007 my husband left his job at the Utah Grizzlies and we moved to northern California for a chance to fulfill Ben's dream of working in minor league baseball. While living there we were picked by our other angel to adopt a little boy. Our adorable son Boston was born in September 2009. We have great relationships with each of our kids' birth families and feel so blessed to have been chosen by each of them. Our experiences have made us very passionate about and involved in the adoption community. We moved back to Utah a week before Christmas last year and just built a new home in South Jordan. I organize a weekly Transracial Adoption playgroup and Ben and I are on the National Board for Families Supporting Adoption. I also work from home part-time answering the Birth Mother Hotline for the adoption agency which we used for Kiara, A Guardian Angel Adoptions. Our goal is to dispell myths and remove the negative stigma surrounding adoption and to help educate women on their options. Between keeping up with my two awesome kids and our work with the adoption cause, I'm kept pretty busy but I wouldn't want it any other way! I'm sad to miss the reunion but feel free to keep up with us at http://bosoxfam.blogspot.com