Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Betsy Beltz

I attended the illustrious University of Utah where I pursued a degree in Philosophy with a minor in History. While there, I became enraptured by Classical Chinese Philosophy, especially the Daoists, and in particular, Zhuangzi. I traveled to Japan on a scholarship through the semester abroad program where I discovered the extent of “guijin” music available in Nagasaki’s bars, the wonder of Asahi, and drank out of many a purifying fountain.
I returned to my motherland of Pennsylvania after graduation in 2006 and, while considering an advanced degree in philosophy, found countless other ways to fill my time. After an impromptu vacation to Europe (Paris for Christmas, Chartres for after, then Amsterdam for New Year’s), I moved to Florida for about a year and practiced laying in the sun and looking for decent work.
Finding the opportunites lacking, I moved back to PA and found a job working as a grower at Dan Schantz Farm and Greenhouses.
Now, I grow flowers for a living. I am blessed with hot blood so the 100+ days barely phase me. I grow flowers for Walmart, Lowes, our own retail store, as well as local grocery chains. I am lucky enough to have my housing provided by my employer (in exchange for emergency non-paid labor) and spend my days caring for my many, many plants. I spend my evenings fostering abandoned kittens I find at the greenhouse, learning to ride a dirtbike, and indulging in whatever food and drink I have available. I live with my adorable boyfriend, Paul, who also works at the farm. Originally from Oxford, England, he got his start caring for the rose garden at Magdalen College.
As a proper farmer, I am unable to attend the reunion. I can’t compromise my crop. But who knows, maybe you will buy one of my poinsettias.