Thursday, August 25, 2011

Emily Smart

After graduation, things got a little tricky. In February 2002 my dad was diagnosed with stomach cancer. After a valiant struggle he passed away in May. I was attending SLCC but dropped out due to the strain this put on my life. I have several tattoos in honor of my dad including a huge back piece - the chorus to a song called "Faith" by a local band, SuperSoFar. I was lost for a long time but in 2004 I met Drew and we married in September. We were married for 14 months and realized that we weren't ready for the life we tried to make. We amicably divorced in February of 2006. I was working for a sub-prime lender at the time and when the company crumbled and everyone was laid off, I had to move back in with my mom. I've been living back at home ever since and I am very blessed for her.
After my divorce I started spending a lot of time with local bands (that somehow I didn't know Utah had) and started developing friendships as well as business relationships. Along with my current job with England Logistics as an account manager in our factoring department, I worked as an assistant for Kevin Burdick (currently in Phoenix) and The Better Life Band, along with several others. No, I'm not a groupie thank you very much. In 2009 I danced with a show team called The Sugar Babies for a year after which the group split up. The director started a new team, Cadence Dance Co. which I now help to choreograph for. My best friend and I are currently in the works of opening our own dance studio. What a struggle this has been but once it's up and running the sky is the limit!
Two years ago I met the love of my life, Mike. We are planning to get a place in October and start our life together. He has three boys- 16, 14 and 12 and seeing as I don't see children in my future that works well for us. Marriage isn't in the picture for a few more years (I'm thinking 2015) so maybe by the 20 year reunion ... but just maybe. I'm excited to see everyone and I hope that everyone is doing fabulous!